RE: HTTPAPI returns a "Host name look up failed"

   Hi Scott,
   > Just in case you didn't understand this: Your messages are going to
   > public mailing list. All participants on the mailing list can read
   > them. I'm able to read your response to Michael Ryan, you don't have
   > repeat it.
   Thanks for the clarification.  I understand that the correspondence
   gets bounced to all on the public mailing list.  I just didn't know if
   you personally were following every piece, so as a courtesy I repeated
   it.
   > Here's why I would not have suspected that: You told me that a PING
   > worked. PING uses the same DNS resolver (configured with CFGTCP 12)
   > that HTTPAPI. Why did it work for PING and not for HTTPAPI?
   I was pinging with the same IP address I gave GEOIP as a parm.  I
   think my confusion with the error message is in understanding what
   host name was actually being looked up.  Did the error have reference
   to the target IP address I was trying to get GEOIP to return a country
   name for, or was it referring to something else?  I suspect the
   latter.

   > Hard to say. You really haven't provided any information other than
   > "something didn't work". Check the XML that was returned from the
   web
   > service and see if it contains the country name. If it was, then the
   > problem is in the way your interfacing to the XML parser.
   I agree.  The problem is that I'm ignorant enough that I'm not sure
   where (which HTTPAPI module or procedure) to look for the XML string
   coming back from the web service.  If you can point me in the right
   direction, I'd be grateful.  What I did determine is that when I go to
   [1]http://www.webservicex.net/geoipservice.asmx?op=GetGeoIP and test
   the same IP address I pass to GEOIP, the XML I get back is:

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
   - <GeoIP xmlns:xsd="[2]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
   xmlns:xsi="[3]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
   xmlns="[4]http://www.webservicex.net";>
     <ReturnCode>1</ReturnCode>
     <IP>209.131.36.158</IP>
     <ReturnCodeDetails>Record Found</ReturnCodeDetails>
     <CountryName>UNITED STATES</CountryName>
     <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>
     </GeoIP>

   I appreciate your patience, as you can see I'm completely a novice
   with this.

   -