Re: HTTPAPI returns a "Host name look up failed"

Hi Rich,

> Thanks very much for the reply.  It would seem that the DNS addresses
> in my configuration were old, no longer used addresses.  Michael
> Ryan was right on the money in asking me to check the configuration.

Here's why I would not have suspected that:  You told me that a PING
worked.  PING uses the same DNS resolver (configured with CFGTCP 12)
that HTTPAPI.  Why did it work for PING and not for HTTPAPI?

> I'll tell you what I told him: Once I changed them to the currently
> correct values, I got past the error and actually got the GEOIP
> program to return to the statement where the DSPLY occurs - which I
> interpret as meaning that the request went out and got a normal reply
> of some sort.

Just in case you didn't understand this:  Your messages are going to a
public mailing list.  All participants on the mailing list can read
them.  I'm able to read your response to Michael Ryan, you don't have to
repeat it.

> However, the countryname variable contains a blank value - which I
> interpret to mean that there's something still wrong.  I'm sort of
> like a blind man trying to get through a maze.  Any ideas on what I
> should do to determine why I'm not getting a value back for the
> country name?

Hard to say.  You really haven't provided any information other than
"something didn't work".  Check the XML that was returned from the web
service and see if it contains the country name.  If it was, then the
problem is in the way your interfacing to the XML parser.

If the country name wasn't in the XML, then the web service simply
didn't return one.  Not much HTTPAPI can do in that case.