Re: Can anybody make any sense out of this? (it involves lack of DNS)

Thanks, Scott, Mike, and Pete, and sorry for being so slow to respond (I
saw the replies to my query in my in-box, but kind of dreaded looking at
them).

More information:

It seems that we had a similar silly-go-round involving a call from Java
to Google Maps (in code I'm not involved in), for something called
"proximity search" (that I've never even *seen* used, much less used
myself).

For that, the customer added a Host Table Entry for maps.google.com, and
pointed it to an internal address (in the 10.x.x.x range). That made
maps.google.com pingable, but at this time, I have no idea whether the
Java call to Google Maps actually works.

On a dare, I tried piggybacking www.google.com onto that internal IP
address in the Host Table, but no joy (and I removed it, on the
possibility that it might need to be set to a different internal address).

Given that the person in charge of that sort of thing with the customer
is gone until Monday, I'm left in a holding pattern on the project
(which is why I waited so long today before actually looking at the
answers to my query).

The "Set Proxy" function may indeed be the key to getting this ghost to
walk, at least for this customer. I'll pass on that information to those
dealing directly with the customer.

--
JHHL