Time Out Parm on HTTP_POST_XML()

   I am using the  http_post_xml() to communicate to a web server.  I
   would like to use the http_timeout. Could anyone who has used the
   timeout parm before or has the knowledge of it, tell me the following
   please:

   1-     how it can be used (if there is any example)

   2-     what is the default value

   3-     where I can set a different value as default  timeout
   threshold.

   These are the conditions that I would like to check for in my program
   upon using http_post_xml():
     * If  the Web Server is down that I am trying to communicate
     * If the server is up but the webservice program is not
       communicating
     * If they are both up but I am not getting any response back
       (timeout)

   Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

   Thanks

   Behzad