Re: httpapi.XML parse problem

If I remember correctly, then Scott introduced the XML version because I asked for it. Frankly I have to admit that I now prefer the zip file.

However some times ago I basically fixed the XML format in my version of XMLGEN. So lots of XML install files can be parsed now. The problem left are embedded "<" and ">" characters in a source member. I cannot encode them because it is nearly impossible to add a real parser (e.g. eXpat) to the XML installer which is embedded in the XML file. Furthermore I do not like encoding these characters manually because now you can just copy the source code out of the XML file, put it into a source member and compile it. That would not be possible if I encoded the "<" and ">" characters.

But how about putting a HTTPAPI version XML (httpapi_version.xml) file on the server. The format that Mike suggested is just fine, I assume. IF we, probably I, now added a procedure http_getVersion() to the HTTPAPI service program, we could write a CHKVER command. The command could perform the following steps to check for an update:

a) Dynamically bind to an HTTPAPI service program using the library list.
   (You may have more than one version of HTTPAPI on your System i.)
b) Retrieve the version using http_getVersion().
c) Connect to Scott's web site and download httpapi_version.xml.
d) Retrieve the version from the XML file.
e) Compare both versions and show the result.

Later on it may be possible to enhance the command to download and install a new version of HTTPAPI.

Thomas.

Mike Krebs schrieb:
Personally, I'm inclined to drop XMLGEN, since I think the ZIP version, when used with FTP, is actually much more elegant.

The reason I tried to parse the XML was because there is a "easy to find"
attribute that has appblddate=" 4/24/2008" in it. Comparing this to the
built-in variable HTTPAPI_RELDATE tells me if our HTTPAPI is up to date. To
find this information in some source member is obviously doable, but a lot
more work. Maybe you could replace the XML version with something like this?
:)

<upload  appname="HTTPAPI"  appauthor="Scott Klement"  appblddate="
4/24/2008" version="1.23">
<install_instructions>Download the zip version!</install_instructions>
</upload>