RE: RPG compiler question

Sender: "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> what is "cheaper" in terms of resources & speed for the ILE
> RPG compiler? passing an integer (actually, any ordinal
> parameter) by value ... but one never knows (how RPG maps to C which in
> turn maps to virtual machine code which maps to the native CPU).

I can't recall the details and don't have time to look it up, but Barbara
Morris has covered this topic fairly extensively in the past.  You should be
able to find it in the archives for the RPG400 list at midrange.com.  I do
recall that size is not the only factor - the data type matters as well
because some values use pseudo registers rather than the stack.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that C is irrelevant in this equation.
RPG does not compile down to C.  RPG  goes direct to W-code (just as the C
compiler does) and W-code goes to MI-prime and MI-prime goes to machine
code.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com