Re: Using HTTPAPI to access webservice that uses XML-XOP and MTOM

On 10/4/2011 8:56 AM, Spencer Wofford wrote:
> I am pretty sure that the service program HTTPAPI was not designed to
> handle this branch of the SOAP/XML standards.

HTTPAPI doesn't know or care about the SOAP/XML standards.  (well,
except for the optional Expat parser... it knows about XML standards,
but you don't need to use it.)

If you can format your data in a way that complies with XML-XOP/MTOM,
HTTPAPI will happily send it.  (And it won't know or care that it's
XML-XOP/MTOM)

And it'll happily receive the response, and put it in a stream file for
you, or send it to your program via procedure calls, and you can then
write code to decode the response.   Again, HTTPAPI doesn't know or care
what the data is -- it just knows there's a stream of bytes receives,
and it'll happily put it somewhere for you to deal with.

If your assertion is that HTTPAPI won't decode the response for you --
then you're absolutely correct about that. HTTPAPI will only
send/receive it, it won't understand it.

The same is true of SOAP.  It'll happily hand the data off to an XML
parser (Expat) -- but you have to handle the SOAP logic yourself.  The
only difference here is that HTTPAPI doesn't have a MIME parser.

> Has anyone run across this format before and have any alternative
> approaches or is there some procedure in httpapi I am missing?  The
> output looks similar to email multi-boundary content.

I have not processed this type of data in HTTP.  I have done so in SMTP
software that I wrote years back, however.  The data was e-mail, not
MTOM, but they look substantially similar.