Re: IFS

Pat,

There is a good tutorial at
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs_ebook/ifs_ebook.pdf explaining how to
access the IFS from RPG. You my also consider to download my IFS service
program that gives you a higher level of abstraction (Freeware).

   http://tools400.de/English/Freeware/Service_Programs/IFS/ifs.html

Basically you use Unix or C procedures to access data in the IFS.

IF you want to access the IFS from a PC you need to define a share (similar
to a Windows share) for the directory in the IFS you want to make available
for a PC. You need the "iSeries Naviagtor" formerly "Operations Navigator"
to define a share. Start the iSeries Navigator and go to "YourSystem" ->
"File Systems" -> "Integrated File System". Then navigate to the directory
you want to share. Right-click on the directory and select "Sharing" ->
"New Share". Fill in the the name of the share, the description and
specifiy the access mode. Then click OK.

Now you should be able to access the directory from a PC using the
following path name:

   \\yourSystemName.com\ShareName\

Thomas.

ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 04.08.2008 04:45:59:

> Pat Greenwood, Sr. SAE
> QUALCOMM QES Western Region
> (785) 749-4065 (office)
> (800) 544-4977  ext 16558 (voice mail)
> (785) 749-3258 (fax)
>
> This may not be the correct venue for my question and if that is
> true I apologize and hopefully someone will direct me to the
correctlocation.

> I am working with a client who is on IBM O/S 4.1 and we are
> attempting to write a file into the IFS and make it available for
> their PC network.  I find the mention of the IFS in the AS/400 file
> menus but can't come up with the correct command to get this done
> nor know how to instruct them for the procedure on the PC side.  All
> of this is being done remotely and I'm stumped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the sender.