From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 5:33 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Outgoing Port

Hi Shannon,

> If I am on a workstation (PC) inside the VPN, I can browse to any web
> page, ftp to any site in the world, etc.., but I cannot get to
> anything from an iSeries session on the same VPN as that workstation.

Somewhere along the line, a myth..  a fable that is utterly false...
started in the iSeries world.  The myth was that you have to add every
PC to the TCP/IP host table.   Unfortunately, there are WAAAAAY too many
sites that are manually adding PCs to their table instead of using DNS like
they're supposed to.

This isn't (and has never been) a problem in Unix or Windows shops.

DNS works exactly the same on PCs as it does on i5/OS and Unix.  Just
configure the same DNS servers on the i5 that you're using on Windows and
the lookups will also work the same.

Typing "ipconfig /all" on a PC (at a DOS prompt) will show you the DNS
servers it's using.

Type CFGTCP, then taking option 12 will show you (and let you configure)
the DNS servers that i5/OS is using.   (Or you can type CHGTCPDMN which
is what CFGTCP calls, or you can use Ops Nav to accomplish the same thing.)