Re: FTPAPIR4 service program location question

Scott Klement wrote:

> In my copy of FTPAPI, I have the library name (LIBFTP) hard-coded.  This
> is probably a bad idea, but I do it so I don't have to add LIBFTP to my
> library list every time I want to use FTPAPI.
>
> To check if the same is true of your program, type this:
>
>       DSPPGM PGM(your-program-name) DETAIL(*SRVPGM)
>
> It will bring up a screen that shows the service programs that your
> program is bound to.  Does it say *LIBL under "Library"?  Or does it say
> LIBFTP?
>
> If it says LIBFTP, then you don't need to have LIBFTP in your library
> list -- plus, if you try to move LIBFTP to somewhere else, it won't be
> able to find it, because it's only looking in LIBFTP.

You're right.  It says LIBFTP, I just hadn't noticed.

> If you want to change this behavior, change the FTPAPI binding directory
> to reference *LIBL instead of LIBFTP, and then re-bind the programs that
> use FTPAPI's functions so that they also say *LIBL when you do a DSPPGM
> (as described above.)
>
> If you do change it to use *LIBL, then you can easily move the service
> program into a different library in your library list (say, QGPL) and
> things will work fine.  You don't need the binding directory unless you
> intend to re-bind the programs.  Binding directories aren't used at
> run-time, they're only used when the programs are bound.
>
> If you want to be able to re-bind and re-compile your programs, you'll
> also need to include any of the copybooks in the QRPGLESRC file that
> your program uses, plus the binding directory, plus the service program.

I thought of the copybooks, but wasn't too concerned about that.  If they
weren't available at compile time I would find out in pretty short order.
<g>  It's run time that I was interested in.

> I know that I changed HTTPAPI to use the library list... I wonder if I
> should change the default config of FTPAPI as well? Hmmm...

I think I'll leave it as is for now.  The fewer changes I need to think
about when an upgrade is installed, the better.

Thanks again for this tool.  It really fits the bill for what I'm doing now.

--
Jeff Crosby
UniPro FoodService/Dilgard

company.  Unless I say so.