Re: FTPAPIR4 service program location question

Hi Jeff,

In my copy of FTPAPI, I have the library name (LIBFTP) hard-coded.  This
is probably a bad idea, but I do it so I don't have to add LIBFTP to my
library list every time I want to use FTPAPI.

To check if the same is true of your program, type this:

       DSPPGM PGM(your-program-name) DETAIL(*SRVPGM)

It will bring up a screen that shows the service programs that your
program is bound to.  Does it say *LIBL under "Library"?  Or does it say
LIBFTP?

If it says LIBFTP, then you don't need to have LIBFTP in your library
list -- plus, if you try to move LIBFTP to somewhere else, it won't be
able to find it, because it's only looking in LIBFTP.

If you want to change this behavior, change the FTPAPI binding directory
to reference *LIBL instead of LIBFTP, and then re-bind the programs that
use FTPAPI's functions so that they also say *LIBL when you do a DSPPGM
(as described above.)

If you do change it to use *LIBL, then you can easily move the service
program into a different library in your library list (say, QGPL) and
things will work fine.  You don't need the binding directory unless you
intend to re-bind the programs.  Binding directories aren't used at
run-time, they're only used when the programs are bound.

If you want to be able to re-bind and re-compile your programs, you'll
also need to include any of the copybooks in the QRPGLESRC file that
your program uses, plus the binding directory, plus the service program.

I know that I changed HTTPAPI to use the library list... I wonder if I
should change the default config of FTPAPI as well? Hmmm...