Re: HTTPAPI at V5R4

   Thanks Scott.  I didn't really think it was a programming problem, as
   it works on other systems.  I was mostly hoping to find someone who
   had experienced the same thing.  I'll keep you posted if we get to the
   bottom of it.
   Rgds,
   Marc
   Scott Klement wrote:

Hi Marc,

  We are encountering a rather strange problem with the HTTPAPI and a
  particular web service which almost harks back to problems there were
  about 3 years ago.  Basically the connection is sporadically dropped
  during the request.  The error in the joblog is:
  (GSKit) I/O: A connection with a remote socket was reset by that
  socket.

Whenever GSKit gets an I/O error, it means that an error occurred in the
underlying socket call.  In this case, the error is "connection reset",
which is more commonly referred to by sockets programmers as ECONNRESET.

ECONNRESET means that the TCP connection was closed unexpectedly.  This
might be due to the remote side sending the RST flag in the packet, (which
is how the remote side says "I want to disconnect")  or it might mean that
the connection was disconnected unexpectedly.

In either case, it's a network error, not a programming error.  In other
words, nothing that I could change in the coding of HTTPAPI would make it
more or less likely to get an ECONNRESET error.  Try searching the
Internet for ECONNRESET, you'll see that it's happening on every OS and
every application, all over the Internet!

It could be a bug in the TCP/IP stack of the operating system.  I know
that there was at least one APAR for V5R1 and V5R2 related to ECONNRESET.
Here's a link to that:
[1]http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas2148cda52a688c3d086256bae003
cfb5c

Since the (preceding) error had to do with the timing of packets, it's
very possible that it could work some of the time and fail other times.

It could also be a hardware error.  Bad cable, bad network card, bad
router, etc, etc. and it could be on any piece of hardware between your
iSeries and the destination server.  (TCP/IP travels through many routers
(or "hops") to get packets from one computer to another.)

I haven't had the opportunity to use a V5R4 machine yet, so I don't have
firsthand knowledge of whether it's any better or worse in this regard.