Re: multinational FTPAPI

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why does IBM not (nicely!) port the record level, DSPF, PRTF I/O to C and through away this RPG? I mean... a language which uses 16 bit pointers for strings on a 64 bit platform is a joke!

That's 16 *byte* pointers, not 16-bit pointers! The iSeries system design uses something called "single-level store." Part of the design for this includes the fact that all disk or memory on the system can be addressed with a pointer -- and that means a very big pointer, 16 bytes (or 128 bits) long.

This has nothing to do with RPG, specifically, it's the way the platform works. All languages use 16-byte pointers.

The single exception to this is for memory that's stored in teraspace isntead of the traditional single-level store. (Teraspace data is "mapped" across SLS spaces, so it's not actually direct memory access, but a sort of virtual interface to memory.) Teraspace pointers in C can be 8-byte (64-bit) pointers, which run a little faster because of the 64-bit nature of the system, whereas RPG still has to use 16-byte pointers (128-bit) for teraspace. But, I've never written anything where the difference is noticable.

Anyway, what is your objection to 16-byte pointers on a 64-bit system?