Re: FTPAPI - my plans for improvement

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

- naming; it's not ASCII or EBCDIC, it's local and remote; client or server perhaps; both can be anything, at least on the data connection, just imagine you download an EBCDIC file from a remote iSeries into your local IFS and want it to be Latin-1. Boy, isn't that confusing right now?

I think "local" and "remote" is the best naming, and it'll match the names that were used for the fles on FTP_put() and FTP_get() (etc,)

However, keep the subprocedure names the same. You can rename the parameters to be called "local" and "Remote" but the procedure names need to be unchanged so that existing code doesn't break.

- do we really need conversion descriptors for each session on the control channel? It's always ASCII on the remote side and should be the job CCSID on the local end. No need for all the hassle with creating and storing CDs for each session, right?

I agree. The tricky part is picking an ASCII CCSID that works with every possible job CCSID. 819 might work everywhere, I don't know. Then, what happens when a Chinese password has a character that doesn't convert correctly to ASCII/819, because it's not in a Latin-1 alphabet?

- would like to convert all the data structures used for conversion to "qualified"; makes it easier to use (LikeDS) and clearer with regard to which subfield belongs to what DS, without severly shortened variable names

That's a very good idea.

- want to move globals to local static variables where possible (e.g. InitIconv & wkXLInit/wkXLFinit etc.)

I agree, but... Be careful with this. Make sure that we can still set every session independently. In other words, make sure the variable you're replacing is one that's not part of one of the session-related data structures.