RE: HTTPAPI 1.14 released!

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Patricia,

You can install the new version of HTTPAPI into a different library (instead of LIBHTTP) if you like. To do that, restore the SAVF to a different library. For example, to restore it to a library named NEWLIB, run the following command:

RSTLIB SAVLIB(LIBHTTP) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(QGPL/HTTPAPI) RSTLIB(NEWLIB)

Before you compile the INSTALL program, open it up in your favorite editor (SEU,CODE,WDSC, doesn't matter). The source for the INSTALL program is located in the QCLSRC file, member INSTALL.

At the top of the INSTALL member, you'll see the following:

             DCL        VAR(&SRCLIB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) +
                          VALUE('LIBHTTP')
             DCL        VAR(&INSTLIB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) +
                          VALUE('LIBHTTP')

Change those to the correct libraries for the source code and installation. i.e. change them both to NEWLIB if you want to compile and run the new version from NEWLIB.

Then create the INSTALL program (using CRTCLPGM) and run it to build HTTPAPI.

If you want to replace your existing installation (say, version 1.13) with the new copy, you have a problem, however. You'll have to delete all o fthe HTTPAPI objects from LIBHTTP without deleting your own objects. That means not only deleting the *PGM and *SRVPGM objects that come with HTTPAPI, but also all of the source members. Once you've done that, you should be able to install the new version on top of the old one.

For an upgrade like that, I recommend using the XML installer.

However...

I strongly recommend that when you write code that interacts with HTTPAPI, that you put it in a different library. Don't use LIBHTTP.

If LIBHTTP only contains code that's from the HTTPAPI project, then you can simply delete LIBHTTP and install a new one. Presto! Everything's upgraded. It's very easy and painless.

Because I take pains to keep HTTPAPI backward-compatible, you don't have to do any re-compiling or re-binding of your programs that use HTTPAPI. Once the new version of HTTPAPI is installed, your programs should immediately work as they did before. (If not, it's a bug in HTTPAPI that should be reported to this list.)

If you put your own stuff in LIBHTTP, it's much more difficult. Now you can't delete LIBHTTP. Suddenly, upgrades become complicated. You have to delete everything from the old HTTPAPI version without deleting your own code or programs. The result of that is that people are less willing to upgrade, and they don't get the bug fixes or new features that they need.

So, if you're able to, I'd strongly urge you to move your own code out of LIBHTTP. It makes everyone's life easier!