Re: Handling Messages

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We send a file to our bank over a HTTPS connection with digital
certificates and have been using HTTPAPI for quite awhile now to do this.
It has worked great but now the bank is switching to a new URL and we are
testing the file transmission before going live.  I've hit a snag.

HTTPAPI displays:
DSPLY  HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Very difficult to debug this error from the client side. It means that the program on the server either crashed or didn't output valid information. That could be because the data you sent to it was done incorrectly, which could potentially be HTTPAPI's fault -- but it could be many other things, including a bug in their software, an authority issue, an actual problem with their server.

They need to check their log files to determine what's really going on. Knowing that there was an error on the server doesn't help much unless you can somehow correlate it something you sent incorrectly.

The security certificate is from a trusted certificate authority.
The security certificate date is valid.
The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name
of the site.  Do you want to proceed?

If I click "yes" it takes my PC in OK.  Could the Digital Certificate
Manager be hanging up on the same thing?  My initial reaction is that the
bank doesn't have something set up right.  Am I crazy?

HTTPAPI is getting beyond this point, so it's not related to the error you're getting in HTTPAPI.

It does indicate that they have something set up improperly, but it's not stopping HTTPAPI. One possible reason why you'd get this in a browser: They're running a "test site" but are using the certificate from the production site. Since they're different computers with different domain names, the name on the site wouldn't match the name in the certificate.
Just a guess, though.