ftp_get?

I am noticing ftp_get is giving an error when the file already exists.  I download(ftp_get) the file once and it works, I download it again expecting it to replace the previous downloaded file and I get the error and it doesnt get the file again.

Error:
ftp_get(): Invalid object type.  (Make a savefile )

Im downloading an ascii text file and have taken out the binary line ftp_binaryMode, is there an ascii equivalent I shoudl be using?  Or just say binary *off?

Thanks for any ideas.