Re: Licensing of HTTP API

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Christian,

I would like to use the HTTP API (and possibly the FTP API) in some of our programs, as they are an easy, effective and inexpensive way to add HTTP client abilities to iSeries programs (we are using Freestyle/400 at the server side).

Are you redistributing HTTPAPI in binary form? In other words, are you writing your own programs and then selling pre-compiled versions of them to customers, or giving them away as free software to customers? (Or, in any way, distributing them to customers?)

If so, is it acceptable to tell them "You must first install HTTPAPI, which you can download from www.scottklement.com?" IF so, then you don't have to do anything special, since they'll be getting HTTPAPI from me.

If you need to have a pre-compiled copy of HTTPAPI that you distribute with your programs when you send it to customers, then you need to include the copyright notice, disclaimers, etc, in the printed documentation for your software.

If you're not distributing it to anyone, or if they're getting HTTPAPI directly from me, rather than pre-compiled and included with your software, then you don't have a problem.

Now, as our programs will be 99% batch programs, to whom am I expected to display all that text? In interactive programs, am I required to bother the user with all that text on every program start?

No. You have to include it in the documentation for the program. You don't have to display anything at all when someone runs it. The fact that it's a batch program doesn't make any difference one way or the other.

You just need to include a page in the printed documentation that comes with your software that says "This software includes HTTPAPI by Scott Klement. The following is the license information for HTTPAPI:" followed by a copy of the copyright and license info.

Btw, great work! If I should find the time, I'd love to contribute, possibly by writing a simple manual. It is rather awkward to dig through the sources, readme and changelog for a beginner. Esp. if one is not too firm about the HTTP protocol (fortunately, I have some clue).

Please do. I could definitely use the help!