Licensing of HTTP API (fwd)

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:58:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: c.vitroler@xxxxxxxxx
To: webcomment@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Licensing of HTTP API

Hello Scott,

I would like to use the HTTP API (and possibly the FTP API) in some of our programs, as they are an easy, effective and inexpensive way to add HTTP client abilities to iSeries programs (we are using Freestyle/400 at the server side).

This leads me to the matter of proper licensing. Your license says, among other things:

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

Now, as our programs will be 99% batch programs, to whom am I expected to display all that text? In interactive programs, am I required to bother the user with all that text on every program start?

Your kind advise would be really appreciated!

Btw, great work! If I should find the time, I'd love to contribute, possibly by writing a simple manual. It is rather awkward to dig through the sources, readme and changelog for a beginner. Esp. if one is not too firm about the HTTP protocol (fortunately, I have some clue).

I assume there may be people who need to add very simple HTTP client APIs (like in my test case, where I use it to send SMS via our service provider clickatell.com) to their apps. It can be done with in the simplest form with a single GET and checking a few bytes of returned text. The simple reply and the (possibly) frequent calls ask for HTTP_URL_Get_Raw, which is less trivial than HTTP_URL_Get. (For some reasons I cannot get HTTP_URL_Post_Raw to work, it yields a timeout; have to further check into it).

Anyway, a great piece of work (could learn a lot about other aspects of RPG programming on the iSeries). My sincere thanks!

Kind regards,
Christian Vitroler