Re: FTP_PUT

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Al,

I am doing an ftp_put and I need to append the day of the month to the name of the file I am "putting" to the FTP server. e.g. the June 1st file would be filename01 June 2nd would be filename02 etc.Is there any way I can do this without coding 31 ftp_put's and choosing the one that corresponds to the day of the month?

It's perfectly okay to use variables or even expressions for the names of the files that you'd like to PUT. For example:

     D local           s            100A
     D remote          s             50A
     D day             s              2A

      .
      .

     c                   eval      local = '/acct/receivables/statement'
     c                                   + %editc(CustNo:'X') + '.pdf'

     c                   move      *day          day
     c                   eval      remote = 'filename' + day

      .
      .

     c                   if        ftp_put(sess: remote: local) < 0
     c                   eval      Msg = ftp_errorMsg(sess)
     c**        "MSG" contains the error message. Show it to the user.
     c                   endif

Or, if you wanted to be a little more fancy, the following code would also work, and eliminate the need for the extra variables. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with expressions

     c                   if        ftp_put(sess
     c                                    : 'filename'
     c                                    + %editc(%subdt(%date():*DAYS):'X')
     c                                    : '/acct/receivables/statement'
     c                                    + %editc(CustNo:'X') + '.pdf'
     c                   eval      Msg = ftp_errorMsg(sess)
     c**        "MSG" contains the error message. Show it to the user.
     c                   endif

Of course, you could use /FREE to make the code a little easier to read (the long expressions can be difficult to line wrap, etc)

Anyway, FTPAPI gives you the flexibility to do it however you like.