Re: Security issues regarding FTPAPI and PowerTech

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,

I'm not familiar with the "POWERLOCK" security software.  I don't know
what it does or how it works, so it's a little hard for me to comment on
why it may not block FTPAPI.

However, I can tell you this:   FTPAPI is a program that implements FTP
according to the standard for FTP released by the Internet Engineering
Task Force.  (Which, to my knowledge, is the ONLY standard for FTP.)

FTPAPI is just an RPG program written using standard system APIs.  If
you're telling me that the ability to bypass your security measures is a
bug in FTPAPI, then I'd submit that any other program on your system could
easily do the same thing to bypass your security measures.   Anyone with
the ability to compile or install compiled objects on your system can
compromise it at any time.

Trying to fix this problem by changing FTPAPI would be like locking a door
on a house with no walls -- sure, you might stop one particular person
from entering in one particular way, but since anyone can walk around it,
it's kind of pointless.

Clearly, if POWERLOCK is intended to be able to stop anyone from using FTP
on your system, then you've discovered a bug in POWERLOCK -- not in
FTPAPI.