Re: problem with ftp_put

Sender: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm not sure what 'locsite' is?   Is that some IBM thing?   At any rate,
> doing a ftp_quote(sock: 'site namefmt 0')  would have the exact same
> effect as doing a ftp_namfmt(sock: 0)

i guess locsite is an ibm thing - when run using the iseries ftp client, it
sends the command to the local server only, rather than sending it to the
remote or both.  At least that's my limited understanding of it.

I've been doing some ftp stuff between my customer and the bank, and the
bank's ftp server is very picky about what you send to it...  during prelim
testing, I sent:  'namefmt 0' and it locked up.  the tech at the other end
said she got a message that it didn't like my command and tossed us out.

so, i sent locsite namefmt 0 and the client returned the messages (from my
memory) remote naming format is '1', local naming format is '0', and the
banks ftp server didn't choke on it, in fact it didn't even recieve it.

<snip>
> However, for reading the local filenames from disk, FTPAPI has no concept
> of name format 0.

I understand.  ftpapi exclusively uses IFS style apis for local file
access, with thier own naming conventions, whereas the ibm FTP command uses
ftp and/or ifs naming conventions, depending on namefmt used.

in fact, doing a locsite using ftp_quote would be a non-issue, because you
don't send ftp commands to the local ftp server (I would assume that the
local ftp server isn't even required for your apis to run?)

> > or does that all just relate to the iseries ftp client, and not the
> > sockets apis?

> It's FTPAPI that's to blame, not the sockets APIs.
> Both FTPAPI and the IBM FTP client were written using the sockets APIs.
> Any program that communicates over a TCP/IP network uses the sockets
APIs,
> there isn't another way. :)

I meant what you said, i just didn't say it very clearly.

> I simply didn't go through the extra work of writing code to handle
> the 'name format 0' type filenames.   Why?  Because you can specify every
> file on disk using the 'name format 1' method.   Keep in mind that I
> wrote this in my spare time, for my own purposes.   Adding extra code
that
> I don't ever intend to use doesn't make much sense :)

Nor would I expect you to.  just trying to understand and get a better
grasp.  I'm getting better.   My experience was mostly using ibm's
incarnation of FTP and i'm very fuzzy on what, how and why the differences
between it and others.   and that's why it's taken me so long to grasp the
fact that you're app doesn't behave like i thought it would.

thanks,

Rick