Re: problem with ftp_put

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Richard B Baird wrote:

> > FTPAPI does not use "name format 0" (i.e. library/file syntax)
>
> Even if you run ftp_NamFmt(socket:0)?
> what if you run ftp_quote(socket:'locsite namfmt 0') ?

I'm not sure what 'locsite' is?   Is that some IBM thing?   At any rate,
doing a ftp_quote(sock: 'site namefmt 0')  would have the exact same
effect as doing a ftp_namfmt(sock: 0)

When you do a ftp_namfmt() call, you are telling the FTP server that you
want to use name format 0.   So, the filenames that you send TO THE SERVER
can be in that format if you want them to be.   For example, in the
peRemote parameter to ftp_put you could do 'QGPL/SOMEFILE'.   But only in
the "peRemote" (remote file name) parameter.

However, for reading the local filenames from disk, FTPAPI has no concept
of name format 0.

> or does that all just relate to the iseries ftp client, and not the sockets
> apis?

It's FTPAPI that's to blame, not the sockets APIs.

Both FTPAPI and the IBM FTP client were written using the sockets APIs.
Any program that communicates over a TCP/IP network uses the sockets APIs,
there isn't another way. :)

I simply didn't go through the extra work of writing code to handle
the 'name format 0' type filenames.   Why?  Because you can specify every
file on disk using the 'name format 1' method.   Keep in mind that I
wrote this in my spare time, for my own purposes.   Adding extra code that
I don't ever intend to use doesn't make much sense :)

Of course, since this is an open-source project, other people are
encouraged to add features if they think that they're valuable.  If you'd
like to add support for namefmt 0, go right ahead.  As long as it doesn't
break backward-compatibility, I'll add it to the distribution for everyone
to use.