Re: problem with ftp_put

Sender: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Richard B Baird wrote:

> i guess locsite is an ibm thing - when run using the iseries ftp client, it
> sends the command to the local server only, rather than sending it to the
> remote or both.  At least that's my limited understanding of it.

Since that sounded weird, I looked it up.  It doesn't send to the local
server.  It just changes a setting in the client itself.

Hmmm... actually that's probably what you meant, and I just didn't think
about it :)

> I've been doing some ftp stuff between my customer and the bank, and the
> bank's ftp server is very picky about what you send to it...  during prelim
> testing, I sent:  'namefmt 0' and it locked up.  the tech at the other end
> said she got a message that it didn't like my command and tossed us out.

Yeah, NAMEFMT is an AS/400 peculiarity.  I've never seen another platform
that had that command.

> in fact, doing a locsite using ftp_quote would be a non-issue, because you
> don't send ftp commands to the local ftp server (I would assume that the
> local ftp server isn't even required for your apis to run?)

True.  The local FTP server isn't required for either FTPAPI or for IBM's
FTP client to run.  (Unless, of course, you were trying to connect to the
same machine.)

FTP_QUOTE does the opposite of locsite.   locsite's command is only
interpreted by the client and never sent to the server.   The string
passed to FTP_QUOTE is only interpreted by the server.  (It is the same as
the "QUOTE" subcommand in IBM's client)

> Nor would I expect you to.  just trying to understand and get a better
> grasp.  I'm getting better.   My experience was mostly using ibm's
> incarnation of FTP and i'm very fuzzy on what, how and why the differences
> between it and others.   and that's why it's taken me so long to grasp the
> fact that you're app doesn't behave like i thought it would.

Heh... I come from a completely different background.  I was using FTP
clients in MS-DOS, Win 3.1, Unix and Worldgroup already back in 1993.
I've easily used over 100 different FTP clients.  So, when IBM *finally*
included FTP and other TCP/IP in OS/400 back in V3R1, it was just one more
FTP client.   Like every FTP client, it was implemented slightly
differently than the others. :)

Unlike Unix, writing programs to interact with IBM's FTP client was a
pain, so I wrote FTPAPI.   (which is actually, IMHO, nicer than the FTP
functions in Unix... but then, I may be biased!)

Anyway, you can understand why I see things a bit differently...   It's
very valuable to me to see how you perceive things differently than me,
it's thought provoking, and helps me to improve my programming interfaces.

Thanks!