[Ftpapi] Degree sign in a RESTful POST getting error message from HTTPAPI, but not from Swagger Playground in a browser

I'm sending data to a RESTful web service from a http_url_post_raw call. If I send
senddoc(): entered
{ "id" : "000000000000264" ,"description_11394": "Ambient Temperature Range,  -20°C . . .
recvresp(): entered

I get
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
. . .
Invalid UTF-8 start byte 0xb0

But if I copy the request body out of the debugger, and paste it into a Swagger Playground session in my browser, on the same web service, it works just fine.

I think it's the degree sign that's blowing it up. (The degree sign comes through just fine when POSTed from Swagger Playground, though.)

Is there something that can be done about this?

--
JHHL