Help with Web Service that use cifrated token and/or certificate

   in past I have  already had occasion to implement Web Service both

   type SOAP that of type REST, without however to consider the

   security factor ; now I should implement and /or call  Web

   Service, using (so they tell me) cifrated Token and/or

   certified. Question: can  give me some suggestion or point to some
   links for

   to understand how cifrated Token and/or certificate  works  and how
   they are used in the

   Web Service?

   Thanks in advance..

   ( excuse if the question is banal, but I never haven't the opportunity
   of

   to face this matter.)