From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott
Klement
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:53 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Error invoking web-service getContactInfo

hi Lewis,

Since you're debugging this, can you tell me what the value of 'peFD'
is?     The only reason to my knowledge that you'd get this error is if
you have more than 224 descriptors open, and therefore peFD would be
higher than 223.

In all cases that I've seen, this means that you are doing something
with descriptors (i.e. using sockets, pipes or IFS files in your job)
that are not getting closed properly.   Since they are not getting
closed, you end up with hundreds open at once, and peFD ends up being
higher than 223 -- causing the 'Length or start position' error that you
cited.

It is possible, of course, that you might legitimately have that many
open at once.  For example, if you are running this inside of a
home-grown TCP server program that's handling more than 200 clients at
once, or a file-server program that needs to have more than 200 files
open at once.  But, so far I've never seen this in actual practice.
It's only been caused by mistakes due to people not closing things out
properly.

Are you working with IFS files, Pipes, or Sockets at all in your program
(aside from the ones opened by HTTPAPI)?

-SK

On 2/11/2014 2:16 PM, Lewis Echavarria wrote:
>     Hello group,
>

>     We are getting this error "Length or start position is out of
range for
>     the string operation.", within the HTTP software when running our
daily
>     job Credit Cards Preliminary. The error is actually happening on a
>     substring statement within procedure COMMTCP_FD_SET. I was able to
>     generate a debug file from the HTTP software, which I've attached
along
>     with some screenshots for my proof of testing when debugging the
issue
>     showing the statement in error and the fields values used in the
>     substring built-in function. I didn't see anything suspicious in
the
>     log that might be causing the error, so not sure what's going on.
Our
>     job consumes the web-service from two different programs, the
first
>     program works fine and the error happens on the second program on
the
>     very first called to the web-service. The weird thing is that this
>     error only happens every Monday, but not for the rest of the
weekdays
>     that the job runs as well. One solution that I tried was running
those
>     two programs under its own activation group, but it didn't fix the
>     issue. Please let me know your input on this.
>

>     Thanks,
>
>     Lewis
>
>     This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the
individual
>     or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with
any
>     attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information.
Any
>     views, opinions or conclusions expressed in this message are those
of
>     the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of
>     Interval Leisure Group, Interval International, and their
affiliates.
>     Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention,
disclosure
>     or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
>     message in error, please immediately advise the sender by replying
>     this email and delete all copies of this message. Thank you.

> -

This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information. Any views, opinions or conclusions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of Interval Leisure Group, Interval International, and their affiliates. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by replying to this email and delete all copies of this message. Thank you.