Re: Follow-up, Re: Can anybody make any sense out of this? (it involves lack of DNS)

Scott Klement wrote:
> When HTTPAPI (or any other HTTP tool, for that matter) connects via a
> proxy, then there's two connections happening.  One connection is from
> HTTPAPI to the proxy.  A second, separate, connection is made from the
> proxy to the www.Google.com.
>
> That's why (as discussed in the prior conversation) HTTPAPI doesn't need
> to be able to look up the address for www.google.com -- it never
> connects to it.  HTTPAPI connects to the proxy, and sends the URL to the
> proxy.  The proxy does the DNS lookup for www.google.com, and connects
> to it.

Ok. At this point, we *think* that the customer *may have* done whatever
unspecified proxy voodoo for the Google Calendar address, that they'd
done to make Google Maps work when called from Java.

But if they have, it doesn't work from HTTPAPI. (Quite frankly, given
what you said, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did.)

All I know about the aforementioned "proxy voodoo" is that it involves a
host table entry that maps the desired domain into an IP address in one
of the "local" blocks. I'm guessing that's the proxy's IP address. But I
haven't a clue what the proxy port would be.

Given that my own proxy experience consists entirely of my having
written a very crude Telnet proxy, many years ago, about all I know
about HTTP proxies is what my much-abused grey cells can comprehend of
what you've told me.

Assuming that they actually *did* do their "proxy voodoo," and that it
*didn't* work for HTTPAPI, I'm obviously going to have to ask them some
questions, in order to build a proper call to http_setProxy(). And I'm
not entirely convinced that they're going to understand a simple "What's
the proxy port?" (Given my recent *BNDDIR problem, this seems to be a
case of someone who's totally clueless [i.e., me] trying to get
information on someone who's both clueless and paranoid [i.e., the
customer].)

And oh, yes, I did manage to fix the *BNDDIR problem.

--
JHHL