Logging into a Proxy with FTPAPI

I am working through the code on my login problem (vacation, and Windows VM problems caused my delays).

The first point of MY problem starts at the line in FTP_LoginLong:

eval      wwReply = Reply(wwSock)

I get a large delay, then the problem exits from here.

The whole stack of where it exits:

Reply():
if        RecvLine(peSocket: wwLine) < 0

RecvLine():
c                   callp     select(peSocket+1: %addr(wwSet): *NULL:
c                                *NULL: p_timeval)
takes a long time to run, then
c                   eval      rc = recv(peSocket: p_char: 1: 0)
fails to run with a -1 returned.

FTP Log
call getfiles
Job 110824/MIKEW/MIKEPCB1 held by user MIKEW with option SPLFILE(*NO).
Job 110824/MIKEW/MIKEPCB1 released by user MIKEW.
0: 220-
0:  ********************************* WARNING
  *****************************
0:            This system is for use by authorized users only.
0:
0:  All activities on this system are recorded and may be monitored for
  the
0:  purpose of tracking down intruders.  In the course of monitoring
  individuals
0:  improperly using this system or during system maintenance, the
  activities of
0:  authorized users may also be monitored.
0:  Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is
  advised
0:  that if such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal
  activity,
0:  system personnel may provide the evidence of such monitoring to law
0:  enforcement officials.
0:
0:  GXS, Inc. 9711 Washingtonian Blvd, MD 20878  ********************
0: 220 Proxy first requires authentication
0: > USER pnet1898
0: 331 Please specify the password.
0: 230 User authenticated to proxy.
A connection with a remote socket was reset by that socket.
0: > QUIT

I am still trying to grasp what all this is doing. Do you have any suggestions of where I can begin my adventure? All I see right now is a dark room with a door to the north, south, east, and west.