Re: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Hi Becky!

A little background:

Saying that HTTP received "500 Internal Server Error" is very much like
saying "My RPG program showed the 'Display Program Messages' screen"

It tells you that something went wrong.  But it doesn't tell you WHAT
went wrong.  500 means "an error occurred", and "internal server error"
means that it was discovered on the HTTP server.

Fortunately, the server sent you back a more detailed message, and it
was found in your debug log.  Here's the relevant portion:

<faultstring>
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of elements must
    consist of well-formed character data or markup.
</faultstring>

The phrase "well-formed" in XML-speak means "follows XML syntax rules".
So, to put it another way, the XML document you're sending is breaking
XML syntax rules.  Here's that document (also from your debug log):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
    xmlns:tns="http://getacctretrieval.wsbeans.iseries";
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
<soap:Body>
   <tns:getacctretrievalInput>
     <tns:pARMSORT>TRINITY LUTHERA</tns:pARMSORT>
     <tns:PARMST>MD<tns:/PARMST>
   </tns:getacctretrievalInput>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

If you copy/paste that to Notepad (or similar) and save it to your PC,
then try to open it with a browser (I use Firefox, but others should
work, too) it'll tell you that there's a syntax error in the document.
That's a really easy way to see where the error is.  (When it's not
obvious to the naked eye, anyway.)

Here's what Firefox tells me:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: Desktop/becky.xml
Line Number 7, Column 24:
     <tns:PARMST>MD<tns:/PARMST>

So that pinpoints the exact error...  you need to have the slash before
the namespace prefix (not after it).  your data needs to look like this:

     <tns:PARMST>MD</tns:PARMST>

I realize that Rick already explained this -- but I thought it might be
useful to see the troubleshooting steps that you could take to find the
error. Browsers do a great job of spotting/explaining issues relating to
documents not being well-formed.

Hope that helps