From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:15 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: iSeries webservice call

On 8/25/2010 9:03 AM, Hintze, Sabine wrote:
> I am trying to use Scott's EXAMPLE18 to call a web service on another
> iSeries and am getting an http 500 error.

You should've received a document from the server (as part of the HTTP
file transfer) that provides more information about the 500 error.

EXAMPLE18 feeds it's downloaded document into an XML parser, though,
which might make it hard to see that document.  Creating a debug file
should show it, however.

Do you get the same error when using EXAMPLE18 as originally written to
the demo web server for exchange rates?  If so, the problem may be a
corporate firewall.  (That's just a guess, though.. I'd feel more
comfortable if I saw the aforementioned error document.)

If the original EXAMPLE18 works, but yours doesn't, that would imply
that you're sending incorrect parameters to the web service.  You'd need
to consult the WSDL or web service docs to figure out what you're doing
wrong in that case.  All web services are different, and accept
different parameters.

> I can successfully call that web service using httpAdmin and another
> testing tool. I suspect that whatever I am putting in the SOAP Action
> parameter of the http_url_post_xml call is wrong.

That's certainly possible...  but again, you should consult the WSDL
and/or web service documentation to see what the SoapAction should be.
There's no way I can tell you that.

>     1.       How do I find out what the format of the soap action should
>     be for this web service?

If the service has a WSDL, I plug that WSDL into SoapUI, and see what
SoapAction SoapUI got from the WSDL file.

>  2.       Where do I find log files on the iSeries that is hosting the
>  web service to see if there is more information in it about what is
>  causing the 500 error?

No idea...  I would start by generating an HTTPAPI log to see if that
gives you a clue.  (You can post it here if you want some of us to look
it over as well -- but make sure there's nothing confidential in it.)

But, to find the log on the server side, you'd first need to determine
which software you're using to host the web service.  Obviously there
are dozens of software packages out there that can be used to host web
services, plus you could write your own manually... all of them
doubtless handle their logging differently.  So the starting point is to
find out what you're hosting it with, then ask people who are
knowledgeable about that product.  (Which probably doesn't include me!)