From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:46 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Test Connect

Ron wrote:
>    We have noticed that the http_persist_open does not always check the
>    connection but returns a comm connection that is not null.

What do you mean by "check the connection"?

http_persist_open() should connect to the HTTP server.  If it's unable
to connect, it should return *NULL.  The fact that it successfully
connects should imply that all is well with the connection...  if not,
I'm not sure what you can do (other than an actual HTTP operation like
GET or POST) to check it further??

> This occurs if we are trying to connect to an SSL port without setting
> up to connect to an SSL port. Ie not using the https_init(` `) and
> using http://

HTTP does not provide any way to "auto-detect" whether you are using SSL
or not.  You must specify https: if you want SSL, or HTTP if you do not.
  If you specify http: and connect to a server that's expecting SSL,
then the connection will succeed, but you won't be able to transfer
successfully, because you'll be sending unencrypted data, and the server
will be expecting encrypted data.

The server will likely disconnect you as soon as it notices this.

Since http_persist_open() does not exchange any data (it merely
connects) you won't notice the failure until you do a get or a post.
This seems to describe your symptoms.

However, I'm not sure what I can do about it?  Again, there's no way in
the HTTP protocol to detect whether the server is expecting SSL or
not... it entirely relies on what you told it...

Whether you do or do not call https_init() should not have any imact on
this at all.  All that should impact it is whether you use http: or
https: in your URI.

> This also occurs if we are using the User Authentication which we
> understand does not normally get done until after a post.

User Authentication is PART of a request.  i.e. it happens as part of a
GET or POST request, it's not done ahead of time  (but also not after!)

> Is there a way to test the connection without doing an
> http_persist_post to make sure.

You understand that the connection is actually succeeding, and all is
well.. the problem is that you aren't speaking the same protocol as the
server.  You could create the same problem by connecting to a TELNET or
FTP server.  HTTP and HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) are technically different
protocols running on different ports.

I could add additional HTTP operations (besides just POST and GET).
there may be one that's innocuous enough that you could use it to test
the connection.  Trouble with that is that not all HTTP servers support
all operations.  Pretty much all of them support GET and POST, but the
others are more obscure.

How important is this feature to you?

http://www.eset.com