Re: Consuming Web Services

Selders, Vince E wrote:
> I've downloaded the tool and have imported the wsdl, however it tells me
> the XML declaration is not well formed.

For your WSDL?  That's not a good sign.  I would try re-downloading the
WSDL.  Be very careful to make sure it's not being mistranslated or
extra characters are added.

If you still get an error that your WSDL is not well-formed, contact
whomever is in charge of that web service.  A WSDL that's not
well-formed is a rather severe error in creating a web service.

> I have decided to read through the docs to see what I might be doing
> wrong.  Like a true developer I simply loaded the app and started
> forcing things into place, guess I'll need to figure out how it works
> first :-)

??? Are we still talking about SoapUI and the WSDL being wrong?

> I wanted to use one of the examples you sent out, but our iSeries is
> tied down pretty tight and I can't get to the website.  So now I am
> trying to hit what is supposed to be a simple web service via our
> intranet.

Again, start with SoapUI.  Run the WSDL through it and try it out that
way.  When you get that working, then try to automate the process with
HTTPAPI.

> This is a very critical piece in that, like many companies,
> we have a directive to get away from emulators and begin using browsers.

I don't understand what web services have to do with using browsers
instead of 5250?!

Web services have little do to with user interfacing.  I wonder if you
aren't confusing web services with standard web programming.