From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Grizzly Malchow
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:05 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Reciving error: (GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received.

I'm trying to use a FedEx web service and I am receiving the following error when posting to the service:
(GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received.

As the message states, this is related to GSKit. I'm not quite sure what it means though and I can't find any information about that particular message.
I did read that FedEx moved to a chained SSL certificate with Verisign on March 19th 2009 in their test environment, which I'm using. I don't know if that has any significance.
Since I am able to do other https requests successfully, I can only guess that GSKit doesn't recognize, or trust the certificate from either the root or intermediary CA's. Or both maybe?

I thought maybe I might need to do import the certificates into my CA, but everything I've read states no action needs to be taken with chained SSL certificates.

Here's what the debug log looks like.

HTTPAPI Ver 1.23 released 2008-04-24
OS/400 Ver V5R4M0

http_persist_open(): entered
http_long_ParseURL(): entered
DNS resolver retrans: 2
DNS resolver retry  : 2
DNS resolver options: x'00000136'
DNS default domain: NORTHERNWHOLESALE.COM
DNS server found: 192.168.1.1
DNS server found: 192.168.1.56
DNS server found: 192.168.1.253
CONNECT gatewaybeta.fedex.com:0 HTTP/1.1
Host: gatewaybeta.fedex.com:443 HTTP/1.1
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Proxy-Authorization: Basic R3JpenpseTpuYjA5MjYwNw==

recvresp(): entered
SetError() #43: CommTCP_read: time-out!
(GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received.
ssl_error(410): (GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received.
SetError() #30: SSL Handshake: (GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received.
Dump of server-side certificate information: