From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Ryan
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 07:34
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Secure types of FTP

You mean not being able to see the contents, right?

You can encrypt the contents (using PGP probably) and use standard, regular old FTP.

You can use FTP through a secure SSL tunnel (FTPS).

You can use SSH FTP (sFTP). I tend to use the third option most often.
It's pretty easy to set up, though there are a couple of gotchas that I've encountered, such as the difference between SSH (IETF) and OpenSSH  keys, and a requirement for a freaking upper case userid with a  specific partner. :)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Harry Williams <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know there are different types of ways to secure the data that is
> being transmitted by FTP. But I don't understand the difference.
>
> If I wanted to send the data where no one could see it go across the
> Internet, at any of its hops.  Which secure form of FTP would I use?
>
> Thanks
> Harry

This email is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged.  If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender immediately and delete this email message from your computer as any and all unauthorized distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited.  Thank you.