SSL problem

An SSL problem has just occurred in a system that has been running OK
for 18 months, connecting to the same (only) host.

Debug info:

HTTPAPI Ver 1.16 released 2006-05-07

New iconv() objects set, ASCII=819. EBCDIC=0
https_init(): entered
-------------
Dump of local-side certificate information:
-------------
http_url_get(): entered
http_persist_open(): entered
http_long_ParseURL(): entered
SetError() #6: connect(): A remote host refused an attempted connect
operation.
(GSKit) The socket descriptor specified within the gsk_handle is not
valid.
ssl_error(6016): (GSKit) The socket descriptor specified within the
gsk_handle is not valid.
SetError() #30: SSL Handshake: (GSKit) The socket descriptor specified
within the gsk_handle is
-------------
Dump of server-side certificate information:
-------------
Cert Validation Code = 0=

Questions:
Is the GSKit socket descriptor error just a knock on effect from the
original host refused error ? (i.e. can be ignored here).
Assuming that this connection, certs etc have all worked OK for a long
time. What possible causes may create this error ?
I am sure that the SSL certs in the DCM are OK.

My possibles are:
1. Firewall / router issue.
Is it possible that this may be a routing/router problem - i.e. the
'host' rejecting the connection is not actually the host we are trying
to connect to ?
2. SSL cert in DCM has become corrupted. (Unlikely in my experience).

Many thanks.

Regards

Ian Patterson