HTTPS Do I really need a cert?

Greetings,
I am really over my head here. I finally got my mind around CGIDEV.  But
I just blindly copied a template and got something working.  That one
program is the base for everything else that I do. It is magic!

Scott you have really used "the force" in creating HTTAPI and you are a
true Jedi.  Yoda would be proud.

Would you please help me with this?  I need a secure connection, AS400
to some HTTPS server.

I need to go to HTTPS://site.com/myfiles/ and then enter a userid and
password.  Then I need to pick up a file and put it either into a DB or
the IFS, either will work.

I then will have to do the reverse.  I go to HTTPS://site.com/myfiles/
enter a userid and password and then upload a file.

1) Anyone know which example I might be able to atleast start with on
this?  I'd like to use the example that gets the .PDF from scotts site,
but there is no security there.

2) Do I really need to configure a certificate?  From my PC I can get a
secure session. Would it be just that simple using the AS400? Do I just
put in HTTPS:// and then have a secure connection?

Thanks for any help with this.

John