From: owner-ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: 27 April 2006 16:23
To: ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fw: HTTPAPI Errors and proxies

Thanks Brian,

Just checking in to make sure I am not duplicating any effort.  The server authentication routines can be used (I think) for proxy authentication.  Looking at the RFC, it looks like they are the same.

Unfortunately, although I was going to change the HTTPAPI to use proxy authentication, I couldn't test it using Scott's basic and digest authentication types because we use MS ISA server which requires NTLM authentication.  NTLM authentication is much more involved (and poorly documented) so I got started on writing an NTLM authentication routine but I have been pretty busy with other projects since.

What I am saying is, Ian, that you might be able to take what Brian has done and apply the Basic and Digest (already in HTTPAPI) authentication schemes to it.  If not, I DO plan to look at this again but it looks like it will be the end of May before I can turn my attention to it.  I will focus on an NTLM authentication implementation but the Basic and Digest should be easier.

Pete

Brian Doherty wrote:

Hello Pete and Ian,

I guess a proxy with authentication requirements would be nearer to the target application. The code I wrote was designed to get through our proxy server on our side of the internet connection.

I haven't looked in to dealing with proxies that require authentication, but extending the http_proxy procedure to set  the wwUSER and wwPASS in the http_persist_open procedure, in the same way as the proxy and proxy port are set might work.

/Brian

Brian,

I took a look at writing some proxy code as well but I started with the authentication to the proxy, rather than passing the proxy URL and port.  What proxy are you using this code with?  Have you looked at any proxy authentication schemes at all?

Brian Doherty
CDTV-L - Senior Analyst
Handelsbanken London