Re: Several questions

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It was decided that we are going to transfer files with the web server via FTP. This is what the company hosting our web site requested. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? I know there are security issues to be aware of, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I know there are alternatives, but I don't know enough to build a strong case for changing the proposed method of transferring files. Time is of the essence with this project.

What sort of issues, other than security, are you interested in hearing about? I'm not sure how to respond to the question. If it works, and security's not a concern, what else is there?

Here's how I envision things. The web server will send a file containing
Customer/Order information to a designated file on our iSeries. The file
will have a trigger that will run the necessary programs and ultimately
send a file back.

Seems awfully convoluted. Why not just use HTTP? That way, you web server will (more or less) call an RPG (or your prefered language) program on the server, and it'll kick out the result straight to the web server's program.

As a result I downloaded the FTPAPI. I'm having a little trouble getting the the TESTPUT program to work.
Using regular batch FTP I can get the following to work:

user pass cd Private put remotei/spgitm.spgitm spgitm FTP RMTSYS('xxx.xxx.x.xxx')

c callp ftp_binaryMode(sess: *on)

You didn't swtich to binary mode in your example that used the IBM FTP client, why use binary here?

c                   if        ftp_put(sess: '/Private/FTPTESTW':
C                                               'TESTLIB/FTPTESTW')<0

FTPAPI only understands what IBM calls "NAMEFMT 1". Consequently, any local pathnames have to be in that name format.

Try /QSYS.LIB/TESTLIB.LIB/FTPTESTW.FILE/FTPTESTW.MBR (assuming that FTPTESTW is the name of a file)

I get the message DSPLY  No such path or directory when the ftp_put
procedure is executed. Does this message indicate the remote, local, or
both are incorrect

It means that the local filename isn't correct.

I've tried just about every combination I can think of. Do I need to run something comparable to the cd Private ftp command before I put the file?

You don't have to (with batch FTP *or* FTPAPI) you can specify the directory on the PUT command. If you do want to change directories, you can... but you don't have to.

In the sample code you provided, switching directories isn't necessary, since you specified the directory on the FTP_put() call.

Does the file have to be in the IFS?

Everything resides in the IFS. (Or, nothing does, depending on how you look at it.) IFS is an interface to all of your computer's different filesystems. It can access the "root" filesystem that contains windows-like files and names, or it can access the /QSYS.LIB filesystem that contains the standard OS/400 libraries and objects.

It can even access other computers on your network.

So -- every file your iSeries has access to is in the IFS.

Since everything is available through the IFS, I decided to make FTPAPI use IFS-style pathnames instead of the older more traditional library/object type naming convention.

That way, you can access everything without me having to write separate code to handle two different types of filenames.