Re: Certificate Assignments

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Pat,

I am following the steps outlined in EXAMPLE3 and outlined in the README source. I signed on to the Digital Certificate Manage using QSECOFR
[SNIP]
7) I click "System Certificates" (I couldn't find this option)
8) I already have SSL configured on my system for other apps,
and I already have a system certificate store. So, it
asks me the password for it. I type that. (We don't already have one.)
9) I click "Work with secure applications" (Didn't have this option.... used Work with Client Applications)

I removed those steps from the README file in my copy of HTTPAPI because they're no longer accurate. They're for V4R5, and the digital certificate manager has changed quite a bit since then.

That's why I sent you a new set of steps to take in the following message:
http://www.scottklement.com/archives/ftpapi/200504/msg00003.html

Please discard the README, and use this procedure instead.

There is no option for "Work with secure applications" I selected one called "Work with Client Applications" which did show my application but I really don't think I have correctly assigned a certificate. I set both of the buttons to no and then apply. Is that all there is?

Do you really need a certificate? Does the site you're connecting to require client authentication? If so, they'll probably have to send you the certificate they want you to use. If you generate one of your own, I don't see how they could know if it's trustworthy or not.

But, 90% of the sites you'll want to connect to do not require you to send them a certificate, so you won't need to assign one.