RE: HTTPAPI 1.10pre4, please test!

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Bartell, Aaron L. (TC) wrote:

> Woohoo!  Now we can stop using IBM's parser!  How hard was it to get the
> eXpat stuff to run on the iSeries?    Good job!!

It was very easy to get eXpat to run on the iSeries.  Much easier than
most of the other changes I made to HTTPAPI :)   My first version just
compiled it from the IFS, and that took only a few hours to get running.
It required no changes to the existing eXpat source, I just had to create
an iseries-specific configuration file and a CL program to compile the
modules.

The only problem was, I couldn't easily include that with HTTPAPI because
it was stored in the IFS, and so couldn't be put in the same SAVF.  It
would've been difficult to use it with the XML installer...  Etc...

So, I figured the best solution was to convert it to use a SRC-PF with
members and all that... that was quite a bit harder, because of the naming
conventions for #include members (C's version of /copy) and the fact that
member names are limited to 10 characters.  But, the changes to the code
were still relatively minor.

In total, I spent perhaps 7 hours porting eXpat and writing the RPG
prototypes for eXpat.

The HTTPAPI routines that integrate with it were somewhat more involved,
however.  I probably put 15-20 hours into that.

Anyway -- I don't know if you really want to replace the IBM parser with
eXpat, since the IBM parser has more features, etc.  But this one is
open-source and has a license that allows it to be included with HTTPAPI,
and if all you want to do is extract some variables from a webservice
response, it's good enough.

Anyway, test it out... make sure it works well before I do the release...
let me know what you think of it.