revisiting the ftp_list problem

Sender: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Scott,

I hope this is a little better question.

If I pass, say 32767 to ftp_list as the number of entries I want to
recieve, it will load memory with as many as it finds up to 32767, right?

what's to keep me from doing this:

instead of defining an array based on the pointer returned by ftp_list, and
rolling through it via subscript, I instead have a single based variable
256 bytes long, and I increment the basing pointer by 256 to get the next
occurance of the 'array'?

is that legal?  does it make sense?

Thanks,

Rick