[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Ftpapi] Payload Limitation - Using HTTP_REQ()

Sorry, Scott,
There was an intermediate variable I was using in the application program that was still 100000.
I have fixed that variable and I'm now able to transport bigger loads.
Really appreciate the effort to put me on track.

Thanks a lot,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 1:20 PM Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Robin,

VARCHAR fields work by storing the length of the string in the first 4
bytes of the field.  HTTPAPI, therefore, uses pointer techniques to read
the first 4 bytes to determine the length.  It appears that in your
case, those first 4 bytes are set to (hex) x'000186A0' (which is decimal

In other words, based on the debug screens you've sent us, the reason
you're limited to 100000 characters is because you're only assigning
100000 characters to P$Req before calling http_req().

To verify this...  set a breakpoint on the line before you call http_req
and do (in the green-screen debugger) and when it its that line, type:
eval P$Req:x 4

This will show you the hex value of the length.

To be 100% sure the problem isn't HTTPAPI, I wrote a quick test program
(it doesn't do anything useful, but it does demonstrate the length being


ctl-opt dftactgrp(*no) bnddir('HTTPAPI');

/copy httpapi_h

dcl-s over100 varchar(200000);

over100 = *ALL'x';
%subst(over100:199998:3) = 'AAA';

http_debug(*on: '/tmp/testlog.txt');

         : 'http://www.scottklement.com/testreq'
         : '/tmp/testresult.txt'
         : *omit
         : *omit
         : over100
         : 'application/octet-stream' );

*inlr = *on;

When I debugged the code and checked the value of SendLen (the same as
you did in your screenshot) it showed SENDLEN = 200000

When I looked at the /tmp/testlog.txt, I could see that the
content-length was 200000 and the data contained all of the 'x'
characters followed by 'AAA', so indeed, the entire data was sent, even
though it was more than 100000.

Scott Klement

On 1/15/2021 10:20 AM, Robin Jacob wrote:
> Scott,
> Thanks for the reply.
> In fact, I had already changed my service to use the HTTP_REQ
> instead of HTTPSTRING(), the reason I mentioned it in the subject.
> Still, the result is the same after the software update.
> The wrapper function I use to call HTTP_REQ
Ftpapi mailing list
Ftpapi mailing list