[Ftpapi] Signing a file on the IFS with public certificate

Hi list, the application i am developping will produce some txt and xml file saved on the ifs, form there it should:
1 sign those files with a public key issued by public certification authority
2 zip those files
3 send the zip away via a web service.

While number 2 and 3 are clear and easily achievable number 1 got me a little confused.

My client request is that all the process of signing those files happens within his application who runs on our beloved AS400 box.

Is it possible via rpg ile sign a file with a public certificate? As anybody of you kind readers a real life example who can share or may point me somewhere else to understand how does this work?

TIA as usual for your attention

--
Luca Giammattei