From: ftpapi-bounces@lists.scottklement.com [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@lists.scottklement.com] On Behalf Of Luciano Concilio
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:25 PM
To: FTPAPI/HTTPAPI mailing list <ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ftpapi] ssl_error(410): (GSKit) Peer not recognized or badly formatted message received

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

We are inclined to this problem that you describe:

I've also received this error when connecting to a site where the SSL/TLS was a version that I didn't have on IBM i, or that iI had different ciphers configured than the site used.  In those cases, simply configuring the system to use newer versions and/or adding ciphers helped.

As we saw in the HTTPAPI_DEBUG.TXT of the AS400 operating version SSL = (Protocol Used: TLS Version 1). which is the same that we use to connect to the AS400 that gives error.
-Now how do we know which encryption server uses the one we want to connect to? can we find it in HTTPAPI_DEBUG.TXT?
-if we find out what encryption it uses as we change that of our AS400?

-Our question is why it works on the AS400 with V6R1 and does not do it on the AS400 with V7R2. Do you know if anything changed on the OS400?

Thank you

Hi Luciano,

HTTPAPI uses the SSL support that is built into the operating system.  In this case, the error "Peer not recognized or badly formed message..." means that it doesn't understand the SSL type/format of the system it's connecting to.

I've received this error when accidentally connecting to a non-SSL site with an https: URL.  Since the site wasn't talking SSL, the SSL routines got confused and complained that it was "badly formed".

I've also received this error when connecting to a site where the SSL/TLS was a version that I didn't have on IBM i, or that iI had different ciphers configured than the site used.  In those cases, simply configuring the system to use newer versions and/or adding ciphers helped.

-SK