FTP Hangs in TIMW State

   Hello All,
   Lately we've been having some issues transferring files using FTPAPI.
   Specifically it seems to happen on the RETR command when getting
   files.  The job ends up just hanging in a TIMW state with no real error
   to trap for in FTPAPI.
   I've tried turning passive mode on and off but neither seemed to do the
   trick for me.
   Is there perhaps a setting someplace to either prevent this or at least
   cause an error to happen that can be trapped and adjusted for in the
   code?
   Thanks for any help you can provide.