   From:        Christine Krebs <christine.krebs@xxxxxxxxxx>
   To:        HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects <ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date:        10/05/2015 14:48
   Subject:        Re: FTPAPIR4 FTP Error 15 (Unable to create socket)
   Sent by:        ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   Scott -
   This is what it would seem like but we are calling the quit every time.
   can see the FTP QUIT command in the FTP audit log as well.
   The only way to reconnect is for the submitted job to end. I haven't
   had
   any luck trying to loop back and reconnect.
   Thanks,
   Christine
   On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:
   > Hi Christine,
   >
   > That's strange -- I haven't run into that problem before.    Could it
   be
   > that you are running out of descriptors?  Maybe you're forgetting to
   call
   > FTP_quit() in some cases (like, if there's an error?) and therefore
   it's
   > never cleaning up the descriptors, so you eventually run out?
   >
   > -SK
   >

   > On 5/9/2015 12:31 PM, Christine Krebs wrote:
   >
   >>     We are receiving an 'Unable to create socket' error from the
   FTPAPIR4
   >>     service program. The error is happening in the TCP_CONN routine
   when
   >>     the 'socket' C program is called.�  The call initiating the
   connect is
   >>     FTP_LIST procedure within FTPAPIR4.�  Has anyone received this
   error
   >>     message before?�  Please read below for the background of our
   process.
   >>     Any help would be appreciated.
   >>     We have a job that is set up to continuously run that connects
   every
   >>     minute to a remote FTP server to put and get data.�  Here is
   the flow
   >>     of the program.
   >>     1. builds a group of work files in the IFS.
   >>     2. connects to the remote server (FTP_OPEN)
   >>     3. logs into the server (FTP_LOGIN)�
   >>     4. sets passive mode on (FTP_PassiveMode)
   >>     5. changes directories (FTP_chDir)
   >>     6. puts the files on the server (FTP_Put)
   >>     7. gets a list of files to import � (FTP_LIST)
   >>     8. change directories (FTP_chDir)
   >>     9. gets the files from the server and moves them into the IFS
   >> (FTP_Get)
   >>     10. disconnects from server (FTP_Quit)
   >>     11. processes the files from the IFS into our database
   >>     12. program sleeps for 60 seconds
   >>     13.. repeats the process
   >>     This process will run successfully for 2 hours sometimes but
   typically
   >>     the job has been ending every 10-15 minutes. We will get and put
   data
   >>     for that time period. �
   >>     The initial error message, 'Unable to create socket', occurs
   during
   >> the
   >>     FTP_LIST call.�  The program will loop back around and try to
   >> reconnect
   >>     and get the same error.�  We can not successfully reconnect
   until the
   >>     job ends and we restart it.�  We have tried both active and
   passive
   >>     mode.�  The program is compiled with *NEW as the activation
   group.�
   >> It
   >>     was originally *CALLER.�  The error is always during the
   FTP_List
   >>     procedure call.
   >>     Also the trace logs running on our ISeries and the remote server
   do
   >> not
   >>     show any activity when we get this error trying to run the
   FTP_List