Re: Using raw to post data

Mike,

Technically, a "raw" socket means he's not letting the operating system fill in the protocol details, but rather he's coding the TCP/IP protocols by hand in his program. But, I don't think he meant that. I think he just meant that they wrote the program using sockets rather than getting/buying a package that does the work for them.

So, it really means absolutely nothing.

Whomever wrote the Apache web server for IBM i did so by "listening on a socket". Whomever wrote IIS for Windows did so by "listening on a socket". This piece of information means absolutely nothing. All TCP/IP applications of any kind are written using sockets.

Most likely, it's just really fussy about what data it accepts and does not. You need to figure out what it wants, and send it accordingly.

-SK