Need Suggestions on Improving Timing

   I have built a program [mypost] that calls out to a webservice to
   retrieve a list of items available for order entry. So i call out with
   http_url_post and get the list via the return xml, parse it, and send
   the data back to order entry program.
   the problem is when I do the post, I am forced to call a middleman
   [webmethods] which then calls the unix box and it returns the xml back
   the same way. [and yes I am "forced" to do it this way]
   right now depending on what i send the program may take any up to 22-30
   seconds. Is there anyway to speed up the service or am I at the mercy
   of the middleman?
   Donovan Barrow
   DBarrow Consulting