Re: httpapi_debug

Hi Kenrick,

The httpapi_debug file was intended as an aid to assist programmers with debugging. As such, I never expected people to have it turned on in production programs. What makes this file useful is that it lets me see the raw data (along with various diagnostic messages I stuck in there to test different things) that's shown when HTTPAPI is running -- this is very useful when there are problems, but hopefully should not be needed when the program is running in production?

So, I'm not sure it's necessary to mask the data in the file? If the file is only on when debugging, developers should be able to delete the data immediately, and therefore sensitive data should be a non-issue. If you were to send a debug file to this list (for example) for analysis, it's pretty easy to edit it with a program like Notepad and just scrub out the sensitive data, since this happens only rarely.

Having said that, HTTPAPI provides a feature where you can write your own logging routine to replace the one in HTTPAPI. You can do this, for example:

        http_xproc( HTTP_POINT_DEBUG: %paddr(MyProc));

Where 'MyProc' is a subprocedure with the following prototype (you can change the name to whatever you want, though):

  D MyProc          PR
  D   DataToLog                     *   value
  D   Length                      10I 0 value

When you define this exit procedure ("xproc") HTTPAPI will call this procedure instead of writing the data out to a file. You can, therefore, put code into this procedure that finds any sensitive data and removes it, or puts XXXXX over it, or whatever.

Since the format of the data that's sent/received by HTTPAPI can be absolutely _anything_, it's up to you to figure out a way to find your sensitive data in the series of bytes that is logged, and figure out how to replace it. There's no standard way, since everyone's data is in a completely different format.

So -- again, I would strongly consider turning these off in production, this is much easier than trying to somehow scrub the sensitive data automatically.

-SK